RE: PVC for air lines

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PVC for air lines
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:45:36 -0700
   The Sept. 2001 Skinned Knuckles has an letter to the editor about PVC
for air it mentions some ASME and OSHA regs to show how bad it is and with
the links previously given on this list, it is safe to say it is a BIG NO
NO. To those with PVC in the garage and say it is safe, look at it this
way, just because you have been driving your car for x years does not mean
it is safe to say you will never get in a accident.  Or that you put one
round in a chamber, spun the cylinder, pulled the trigger 5 times, does not
mean it is safe to pull the trigger a 6th time.

   All the sources indicate PVC is a accident waiting to happen, you might
be lucky and it might wait until the next owner of your garage, then again
maybe not.

   Now this radiator addition thing has me intrigued as I am plumbing my
shop as I type this with my new compressor.  I think I will try it but i
won't have any experience with the compressor to tell how well it works, it
looks like a great idea though.  I have had about a 65' coil of 3/4" copper
tubbing sitting around unused for over a decade now, looks like a great way
to use it up. I have only run my new compressor up to pressure twice and
both times the motor/tank/pipes got pretty darn hot and let quite a bit of
moisture in the tank.  A LOT more moisture than I expected since I got the
air compressor with the auto tank drain, this weekends planned heavy use
will tell me how well it works.  Beyond that I am more or less following
the TIP suggestions on plumbing.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/