Re: Enclosed Trailers

To: "Jim Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Enclosed Trailers
From: "Lee S. Mairs" <lmairs@cox.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:53:50 -0400
Thanks for the comments.  I've received many "that's the way to go" and
"your Pathfinder will handle it fine" comments ; however, two actual
manufacturers state that the biggest trailer that they would sell me for
that vehicle is a 6'x12' rig that is too small for the Austin Healey 3000.
The owner's manual says up to 5000# is OK with the automatic transmission,
but everyone says that I need to also add an ATF cooler and some sort of
magic "load leveler" hitch.
Bottom line is that I'm really uncertain now that this is a good thing to
do.  Anymore knowledge out there?
Lee Mairs
Northern Virginia

The "private sector" of the economy is, in fact, the voluntary sector;
and...the "public sector" is, in fact, the coercive sector.
  --Henry Hazlitt

> I don't know about the towing capabilities of your Nissan SUV, but I
otherwise
> did a very similar thing.  I bought a Wells Cargo 18' by 7' enclosed
trailer last
> October in Connecticut for $4000.  It's a 1999 model.  It serves as winter
> storage for my wife's Sprite, and was specifically used to bring back my
FFR
> Cobra from the Wareham, MA to Cheshire, CT.  About 200 miles.  But my
towing
> vehicle is a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l motor.  I set it up with an
> equalizing hitch, which really makes travel more pleasant.  More power
than a
> Nissan SUV perhaps, but probably not a lot more.  This trailer has a 7200
GVWR,
> and I was no where near that.  Figure your AH at 2300 lbs. maybe?  Plus
trailer
> weight could move that to 3500 lbs.  I'll bet your trailer capacity per
the
> factory is at least 5000 lbs.
>
> I used to tow a 1972 Skamper camp trailer, 20' and lots of weight, with my
6
> cylinder 150hp F150 pickup, manual transmission.  It was slow to get
going, but
> still pulled and tracked fine.  I expect based on my experience, you would
be
> fine with your combination.
>
> "Lee S. Mairs" wrote:
>
> > I want an enclosed trailer to:
> > (1) help move 35 years of "stuff" 200 miles to West By God Virginia,
> > (2) to move my restored 1962 Austin Healey down three miles of gravel
road
> > from the new place to paved roads, and (3)to provide safe storage for
the
> > Healey until I can get a decent shop/garage constructed.
> >
> > I've been considering a Wells Cargo 14 foot by 7 foot Landscape Trailer.
> >
> > Question is can my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV with AT handle the load?
> > suspect that an ATF cooler will be required.  Anything else?

///