RE: Silver solder

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Silver solder
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:29:29 -0700
> no, I meant that the filler material solidifies *above* 800F?  aren't we
> saying it melts above 800F?
>
> not trying to be a smartass, just wondering if I'm missing something
> important...

No, not really.  'Melting point' is another term not used by the AWS, they
use the terms 'liquidus' (the point at which a material is completely
liquid) and 'solidus' (the point at which a material is completely solid).
Ordinary 60/40 solder for instance, has an intermediate temperature range
where it is neither liquid nor solid (commonly known as the plastic region,
not sure what AWS calls it).  Movement while the joint temperature is in
this range is what causes 'cold' solder joints.

Actually, I thought the brazing definition was a filler material whose
liquidus was above 840F, but I could be wrong.

Randall - lots of book learning, can't weld to save my ...

///