Re: Powdercoating question

To: Bob Chansler <rchansle@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Powdercoating question
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:56:37 -0700
On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:37:43PM -0600, Bob Chansler wrote:

> I was curious if anyone had ever considered powdercoating parts of a cars
> body such as fenders or doors?
> I have a 49 Suburban that will be painted white. I was curious if it is
> practical to powdercoat the fenders white and then paint the body to match.
> Any thoughts?

I had a motorcycle gas tank powercoated once.  Does that count?

I found that the color (white) was hard to match, in fact I gave
up on that (but then I'm not a paint expert).
The finish was somewhat orange-peel-ish.   Even with my low
skills I could make a better finish with paint.

I wouldn't do it on bodywork again.  Frame and small parts, sure.
Especially if they're to be black.

Also, they have to bead-blast the part and there can be NO filler on it.
I'm not sure that there can even be lead filler-- the part's got
to be heated up to 400 degrees f to melt the plastic powder.

Finally, if you're going to set up for painting the body
anyhow, what's a few more parts?

Eric

///