Re: Jag Paint

To: epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: Jag Paint
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:45:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:

> Me and my buddy have spend most of the day trying to restore the paint.
> (we are using Mgquires cleaner (step 1) and mgquires polish (step 2))  and
> LOTS of elbow grease.  (and a buffer in the bigger flat parts).
>
> Neither of these is a wax.  (that is step 3)
>
> Any ideas what I should do?

you might try looking at the griot's garage catalog, or calling them.  I'm
sure they could sell you anything you need to get the paint 'right', just
bring money.  their catalog seems to be devoted more and more to
paint/cosmetics.  (800) 345-5789, or mail me and I'll drop one of their
catalogs in the mail to you to peruse.  oh, no financial interest, etc.

> Also, there are tiny "black dots" in the paint everywhere.  Any idea what
> caused them or how to get rid of them?

from what I've read, those are probably contaminants in the paint, usually
a result of acid rain.  'paint cleaning clay' (I heard you can get it at
autozone, from meguiars, or again, griot's) is supposed to get this stuff
right out.  the idea is, you take this clay bar, spray your car with a
lubricant and rub the bar until you quit feeling drag, at which time the
paint is clean.  the contaminants are removed by the clay.  no personal
experience.

> PA, what removes tree sap?

3M general purpose adhesive cleaner, p/n #051135-08984.  removes pine tree
sap (and tar, bugs, paint from parking lot dings, etc.) from paint without
harming the paint.  soak a cotton ball and rub sap gently.  got my can
from local auto parts store.

scott

///