Re: Floor jacks a review from a tire shop

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floor jacks a review from a tire shop
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 07:40:56 -0400
A friend of mine runs a repair shop, so I asked him which jack was best.
He said he buys the cheap ones at Cosco. They don't last long, but the
$400 ones don't last all that much longer. And he can buy a lot of cheap
($50) jacks before he comes close to the investment in one $400 jack. He
confirmed that "they don't make them like they used to".

Mike

Bill Gilroy wrote:

> I was getting a couple of tires at a local inner city tire place and I
> noticed the guy has about 8 one piece handle Lincoln floor jacks, 1
> Norco, 1 Snap-on, and 1 Matco.  I asked the guy how the liked the
> Norco.  The thought it was alright but he really liked the old
> Lincolns.  Had one new two piece handle unit and thought it was a hunk of
>junk.
> The Snap-on was rated at 2.5 tons and he said it could lift that much.  He
> thought it was a good jack but it was expensive, greater than $400.
> The Matco leaked oil on the first week (it was fixed under warranty)
> and was rated at 3.5 tons which he said was a joke.  He also had one
> Danish jack called a Compac.  He thought it was pretty good and would
> be just the ticket for the home garage.  He is still looking for a
> good replacement for his older Lincolns.  FWIW.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=204428>

"He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave."

        - William Drummond

///