Re: Exhaust Leak

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Leak
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:29:51 -0400
"Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us> wrote:

> Since CO is odorless....

Maybe I need to clarify - I smell "exhaust" and get a bit of a headache
riding as a passenger in his car.  Similar to being in a garage with an
engine running a bit too long.  But it's not major, he (my son) doesn't
smell anything, nor does he get the headache...

> More likely then are things like a plugged PCV system that is being
> forced to vent the crankcase through the air inlet, or a small oil
> leak onto something hot.

New PCV valve - didn't change anything.  Could be an oil leak, but no
smoke or anything.  But I'll check...

Randall also suggested looking for leaks as well as EGR gaskets, etc.
I guess I have some checking to do...

On a different subject:

I also have to fix my timing light.  Last time I used it, the cord managed to
jump itself into the A/C pulley.  Never saw a cable jump so fast and get
cut into so many piecies so fast...

It should be a simple repair, I just need a simple, common, two conductor
shielded cable to replace the shreaded one...  They used to be as common
as dirt, but it's turning into a hard job.  I went into Radio Shack and asked
for what I needed.  The Sales Droid showed me Coax TV cable and asked
"Will this do?"...   I guess it's the only concept for "shielded" he understood.
I searched the store, and they didn't have what I needed.  Unless maybe the
Stereo Head Phone Extension would do, but there was no indication on the
package as to whether or not it had a shielded cable...

I managed to find an old serial cable in a junk pile at work, so I'm checking
it for a shield when I get home tonight...

Tim Mullen

///