Re: Measuring Instruments

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Measuring Instruments
From: Jeffrey Lindemuth <lindy@coil.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 14:25:42 -0400
LRuggi2635@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys-- I'm looking to purchase a set of (preferable), or individual,
> precision measuring instruments (good for at least .001), suitable for
> checking auto engine clearances, diameters (inner and outer), and run-outs.
> My local Harbor Freight sells some calipers and dial indicators, but I don't
> trust their quality (you know typical Harbor Freight-- some of it's good, the
> rest forget it).  Any suggestions where to start without spending and arm and
> a leg?  TIA
>
> Larry
> Warner Robins GA

 My advice is that the measurment instruments are the most important
tools you will buy. Buy the best you can afford, they will give you
years of service. I have had no name imports, American made and shop
made measurement tools. Used Starrett, Brown and Sharpe or Mitutoyo
tools are better then most no name imports. Check your local auctions
and Ebay.

Jeff Lindemuth
Galena Oh
lindy@coil.com