Air Bleed-off cooling system

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air Bleed-off cooling system
From: "BOB NOGUEIRA" <nogera@Prodigy.Net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:01:51 -0500
I just ran into something I have never seen, and can't figure out the reason
for its existence.
While rebuilding my Honda motor scooter I find a vacuum line which runs from
the  radiator
filler neck to the carb.Its fully below the radiator cap and taps straight
into the radiator. The Cheesy Honda shop manual refers to this line as "Air
Bleed-off Line " but  says nothing about how it operates . Since the scooter
also has a  coolant overflow bottle with the conventional route from the
bottle to above the pressure valve on the cap. It would appear to me that
the two systems would be working  against each other.
Why wouldn't the vacuum line suck in the coolant?
I know we have a lot of motorcyclists on the list and figured I'd see this
arrangement is common to water cooled cycles.

Bob

///