Re: Recharging a R-12 system

To: Rex Burkheimer - WM <rex@txol.net>,
Subject: Re: Recharging a R-12 system
From: Jim Ferguson <jferg@twave.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:24:51 -0400
Hook up the hoses red high, blue low, yellow to the vacuum pump.  Open all
valves
and pump it for hours.

Close all valves, remove the vacuum pump and put your R-12 on the hose.  Open
one
or both valves to put in an initial charge. (compressor not running)  (turn the
supply tank to liquid for a faster charge.)  When pressure has stabilized, turn
off the high pressure side valve and the Low side valve.

Start the car, the compressor may not start due to low pressure, keep going--
open the low pressure side valve until the compressor starts--turn off-- if it
stops or high pressure doesn't start to build keep adding until the compressor
runs continually.

Now the delicate part add to the "no bubble" site-glass if equipped.  If not
your
gages will have some calibration on the high side but I have found that a
"little" more that the continuous running compressor is about right.

Take your time allow temperatures to stabilize and keep the A/C blower on high
and the doors open.  It does take some time to do it without all the new
calibrated charging systems.

Good luck.

Rex Burkheimer - WM wrote:

> I haven't done this in years, so I need a refresher.  I need to pull a
> vacuum on an R-12 system ('87 VW, conventional ), then charge it with R-12
> (yes, still have 3 cases).
> How are the three hoses hooked up?
> What valves do you open when etc?

///