week wackers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: week wackers
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:11:35 -0500
David,

I'm currently using a 20 year old Yazoo 36cc commercial unit..on 1.5 acres
also... our trimming times are comparible.  I   bought it in 1982 for
$180.00.  I can't wear it out.. even after using it commercially for 5
years.  I use .130 string exclusively... with the lightest used as .090  .
If you use less than that you're just playing with the weeds..  .060 is for
people with time to waste.
Stay away from 'bump' feed heads... they are also for people with too much
time and make parts people  and string dealers rich. My manual two string
head requires about 4 turns of a thumb screw and a couple of twist of the
head to release another 6 inches of string, then 4 turns of the screw to
tighten it back up..  Besides I need to wipe the sweat off my glasses
sometimes.   This trimmer with .130 will handle all grass and weeds with a
soft core, briars and most small seedlings..  it will also debark your leg
if you are so inclined... wear proper PPE.   I can't stress eye protection
enough.  I don't start one without safety glasses and have still had two
trips to the emergency room with embedded objects in my eye.
Anyway....This trimmer still has the original spark plug !!   My only
maintenance has been 5 string heads and a few air filters in 20 years......
total cost $ 125.00.. ( string heads are about 20.00 each)  not bad in 20
years...   Sadly .. Yazoo went out of the lawn equipment business.  so
never mind.

BUT...  I have a friend who owns a commercial grounds maintenance business
and he uses Echo exclusively...(He was an exclusive Yazoo man till they
went under)   he's tried them all and gets the best service out of Echo.
He keeps at least a dozen on the truck all the time and, considering his
average "employee" whose main objective is to break something so they can
sit down, he still gets an average of two years service out of them using
them 6-8 hours a day 6 days a week for 9 months of the year in a steel mill
environment... that doesn't sound like much but its continuous duty and
this is tough duty. If you divide it into two hours of service every 10
days... well you can do the math... ( Your wife will never wear one out ).
Another friend runs an air cooled tool business and handles Stihl and
Husky.  Of course he thinks husky is the best... and I agree they make the
best chain saw you can buy.

Echo has the best value for the money...  Even though I own a Husky saw.. I
think they and Stihl are priced a little high. ( I got a good discount from
my air cooled tool buddy)   In weed eaters, I'd buy the largest engine I
could find....  30 cc or better and many of the new units have tiller,
blower, edger, hedge trimmer and other attachments.   Some are just
fluff...like the baby blower or the bagel cutter....   but the edger and
hedge attachment are used by my commercial buddy and he loves them... you
can do three jobs with one piece of equipment.  Cost effective and lower
maintenance...  you might not need the attachments ,, but it's something to
think about before buying.   Straight shaft is a must for longevity !!!
look for bearing heads also...   Brush blades scare me !!!  too much kick
back...  the .130 does all I need... after that I use a brush hook...   I,
like you watch my money, but stay away from discount store and grocery
store tools... spend a little more and buy commercial... they are built for
continous duty and have heavy duty components, cylinders and internals...
they can take abuse and most use a universal string head and have good
parts availibility..  it isn't much good if you saved $30 and it's hanging
in the garage waiting for parts....  does you wife know how to use a
slingblade???
It's grief you can avoid for a "few dollars more".

Ryobi still makes a 4 cycle unit but I've never used one....  as much as I
twist and turn mine around trimming,,, I'd be a little afraid of the oiling
in one... but then, I've never tried one.

By the way... don't get your wife a gas can any larger than 2.5 gallons...
it's easier to carry... it will last her at least half a day and the trip
to the store for more gas can give her a break for water and lunch... :-)

my $ .02...( and everything I know about string trimmers) hope it helps

john

///