Re: Slot Car (was Plastic film removal)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Slot Car (was Plastic film removal)
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:15:45 -0400
Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca> wrote:

>  What about the "cross piece" that caused cars to switch lanes?
>
>  Aside from the obvious goal of making the game fair, you
> added the extra chance of spectacular collision.

I once had a slot car "system" that allowed the cars to switch from track to
track.

As well as my teen age mind (at the time) could determine, each car had a diode
that only allowed the "power" to travel "one way".  The power supply generated
to currents DC and AC at twice the DC voltage.  One controller regulated the DC
current, the other regulated the AC current - both were connected to both slots
of
the track (basically both cars ran on DC but with the current coming in
"different
directions").  There were two manual switches that allowed you to change lanes,
and both cars could be in the same slot and be independently controlled.  Made
for interesting racing - you could cut off you opponent, block them, or even
cause
them to crash by switching lanes at the right time...

Never seen another set like it...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA

///