RE: 2 x 4 (Was trucks, now lumber)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 2 x 4 (Was trucks, now lumber)
From: "Flemming Larsen" <flarsen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 00:09:38 -0700
Folks,

In Denmark, where I grew up, a standard sheet of plywood measured 122 x 244
cm.

I believe that the metric standard for a (surfaced) two-by-four is 38 x 89
mm,
but I have seen metric dimensions for hardwood being sold as 44 x 88 mm.

An inch is equal to 25.4000 mm, right? Well, not when it comes to measuring
lumber. In Danish lumberyards, an inch is, or was, equal to 26.5 mm.

This reminds me of reading about Great Britain, switching to metric by a
certain
deadline back in the seventies(?).

Newspaper headlines said: "Deadline Missed, by Miles!".

Just my DKR 0.00239 worth.

-- Flemming Larsen

> > How do they dimension lumber and plywood in a metric standard country???
>
> Odly enough, Baltic Birch plywood from Latvia (I believe) is five feet
> square.  On the button.  That's 1524mm.
>
> >I mean, are there standards?  Is our 2" x 4" type stud duplicated in some
> >kind of  50mm x 100mm piece?

///