My experience using a grease gun and some questions

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: My experience using a grease gun and some questions
From: "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:57:56 -0400
I bought one of the $12 specials from Harbor
Freight. All excited, I took the thing apart
completely, and thought I knew how it worked.
Looked over the instructions and was now sure
I knew how it worked...

Put in one of the free grease cartridges that
been sitting on the shelf for almost two years now.
This gun has a spring loaded plunger. Pulled; Ok,
now I guess this button releases? Twang! (expletive!)
I now have a nice sized blood clot on my palm. So
that's what that button does! Girlfriend comes
running. 'You ok?' So much for assuming that the
grease in the cartridge would stop the plunger.

Pump, pump, pump. Hey got grease. Then Nothing.
Pump, pump, pump. Time to diagnose. Instructions say
'air release.' Hmmm, If I loosen this screw enough
to get the air out, I should be ok since it must
be an air pocket. Loosen, spurt, splang and the
entire contents of the cartridge is now being
emptied in the palm of my hand, via the hole where
the screw used to be. 'Uh dear, need help!' Poor
girl, she opens the door and couldn't stop
laughing as she sees almost the entire contents of
the cartridge in my hand, with some more oozing out.
She says 'Slight problem?'   Damn comedian!  :)

So thinking I'd get smart and hold the cylinder
between my feet, while I pulled on the plunger to
release the now empty cartidge. Well, I now have a
blood cot on one of my fingers from the cylinder
slipping and flying upwards as I frantically tried
to let go of the plunger. Bang! (More expletives!)

So, if you've stopped laughing, how does this work? Is
the hose fitting supposed to slip on and *off* the grease
fitting? Or do I have to loosen the fitting on the end
of the hose to release it?  Is it easier to use the
cartridge, or should I just fill up the grease cylinder?
How do I clear air pockets? I would have thought pushing
on the plunger would work, but it seemed that the air
pocket was under the outlet and not under the air release
screw. What else do I need to know about this gun?

Brian (Didn't think a manual grease gun could cause injury!)
brian.lynfatt@eds.com

///