Plans for an Overhead hoist (Gantry)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Plans for an Overhead hoist (Gantry)
From: Gil Fuqua <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:53:50 -0500
I want to build a gantry for my shop so that I can attach a hoist to the
cross beam and be used for various lifting tasks around the shop.  I also
want to have wheels on the gantry so that it can be moved out of the way.

I thought about constructing it from two I-beams that are 20' long.  One of
the beams would be cut in half and form the uprights to give me a lift
height of about 10'.  The other beam would be cut in a 10' piece for the top
section and the remaining 10' piece would be cut in half to form the
outrigger legs.  I plan to attach some type of wheels to each end of the
legs.  I want the lift to accommodate about 1,000 lbs.

Does anyone have any construction plans for a similar gantry?  Any thoughts
on construction?

Gil Fuqua
Nashville, TN

///