Re: Bird Control

To: <BSHolden@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bird Control
From: Stan Fickes <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 14:49:18 -0400
Bart-
What kind of birds are you fighting? I think the solution will be different
depending on the bird.

As for sliding doors, I have sliding doors of that size on two different
floors of my barn. The pigeons didn't go through the doors, even though one
has a one-foot gap at the bottom, and the other several gaps on the bottom
and sides. I open the doors regularly, and sometimes leave them open for
hours at a time. They chose instead to go through the ventilator holes under
the roof, which I have covered with chicken wire. The only door the pigeons
used was one kept open constantly, so the cows could come and go. A few
sessions with the BB gun convinced them to seek other places to live.

Watch the birds for a while, and see where they come and go. If they only
get in when you open the doors, then you'll have to deal with the doors. I
suspect you'll find they are using other entrances...
Good luck,
sf

on 4/7/01 22:38, BSHolden@aol.com at BSHolden@aol.com wrote:

> Well folks;
> I received many response's to my question regarding bird control in a barn
> measuring 70' W x 140' L x 16' H.
> These suggestions include:
> 1) Shooting the offending animals (BTW; I did this once using a . 22 pistol
> against an obviously rabid raccoon that had invaded the barn). Not a pretty
> solution. And one that could lead to unplanned ventilation of an enclosed
> space.
> 2) Screening doors and other such openings such that birds cannot enter in
> the first place. This solution is not practical 'cause I have 20' x 16'
> sliding doors that must occasionally be opened for ingress and egress of
> sundry vehicles.
> 3) Cats: Not practical given that felines vertical jump capabilities fall
> short of 16'.
> And the resident canine continues to harbor a grudge towards felines.
> 4) Installing wire type thingies (sorry to introduce the more technical terms
> here) designed to inhibit perching; Not practical given my buildings size.
>
> Boil it out; I remain in search of an easy solution to bird nesting/occupancy
> of my barn.

///
///