Re: Welding a motorcycle exhaust pipe

To: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Welding a motorcycle exhaust pipe
From: "Dave Rann@wic.net" <drann@wic.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:06:09 -0700
>I need to weld up a crack and small hole in the
>megaphone/"muffler"

 If you find a large thin or rusted area, a similarly shaped patch may be
butt welded in place. This has worked very well for me in the past.
Unfortunately I lack the skills and patience to do a show quality job but
I'm sure you can handle it with some practice on some junk pipes.

 As to which process to use, what is the most familiar and comfortable to
you? What equipment can you practice with? Your torch, with the tips you
have should do quite well. If possible, a copper or carbon back up is
helpful in minimizing burn through. Don't know the health hazzards, but
chrome plating will burn off long before you reach welding temperatures and
not contaminate the weld.

 Dave

///
///