Re: Isocyanates and activated charcoal adsorption (long)

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Isocyanates and activated charcoal adsorption (long)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:43:49 -0700
Nolan Penney wrote:

> http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/index.html
>
> Read the links to your hearts content. :-)

One of the things I'd completely forgotten during this discussion is
that some companies (only one I know of for sure is PPG) have been
introducing, in the last year or two, water-based urethanes and
polyurethanes. These are purported to be environmentally safer, but I
have no idea whether that is a matter of kind or degree, or whether or
not their use still requires the same level of protective equipment
(separately-sourced breathing air, etc.).

We have introduced these water-based paints in our production process,
and to date, the only noticeable change in quality is a somewhat greater
tendency to orange peel, especially when applied with HVLP guns. Whether
they are fundamentally safer during application, I cannot say. When I
get a little spare time, I'll try to locate MSDS sheets on these new
paints.

Cheers, all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`71 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.

///
///