Re: Saw Recommendations

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Saw Recommendations
From: "Steve Dillen/CanWest/IBM" <sdillen@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:50:00 -0800
I'd go for the larger table/nicer rip fence.  The table on the second saw
you reference is the same as mine, and I had no real problem building the
router extension for it (there should be about 6 3/8" holes on the end of
the table for adding more extensions).  I think table size makes a world of
difference -- especially when dealing with a sheet of plywood.  Probably
99% of my table saw cuts are either 90 degree crosscuts or rip operations,
therefore I found that the miter guage was really of secondary importance
to me.  For miter operations, I use my miter saw (Sears has 10" compound
miter saws for 50% off about every 3 weeks or so) -- the miter saw is
waaaay more accurate than trying to push a 10' piece of molding across a
table.

I also find that a heavier saw is a good thing -- it doesn't move around
when you lean on it.  The only advantage of aluminum body/table/extensions
that I can see is that it's easier to move the saw around -- not
necessarily a good thing if your brother-in-law is remodelling and asks to
borrow your saw.  Explaining that the saw is too big and heavy to move is a
better (read more politically correct) way of saying "you don't have a
snowball's chance. . ."

Steve Dillen
E-Mail:  SDILLEN@ca.ibm.com

///