Re: Wood shows

To: "Lee S. Mairs" <lmairs@cox.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Wood shows
From: Epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:22:46 -0500
The show was at the "Garden State Exhibit Center" in Somerset, NJ (about
20 mins from me)

Like I said, the deals there were better than the local stores, but the
internet (and catalogs) had it beat.  I was nice to walk around and see
the demos and such.  It was more of an "educational day" then "flea
market" day.

The biggest disappointments were the demos for the coolest tools.  Most of
the tools that performed the best at the show, were not "complete" tools.
There was one fencing system that really made easy work for dovetails,
inlays, etc, but seeing how their did not have a table top (just the
fence), I was wondering about how it would work on my table.  Let face it,
those products only work if installed accurately on great equipment.  But
if I have to drill my table to install new rails, I get 1 real shoot at
doing it right.  If it's not right, the product will not work well at all.

What I would like to see are more "complete" systems.  (fences, with saw
tables and router tables).

Even the "Panel King" (the most impressive tool there, IMHO) was flawed
when you realized that it made great cuts and you can reference cuts to
OTHER cuts to the 1/32", but you could not use the scale on the tool to
measure the first cut at all really.  Very disappointing as I was
considering to pay the $1400 for the table and guide system.

Inch

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]

///
///