heating my new garage/shop (long)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: heating my new garage/shop (long)
From: "Richard White" <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:13:22 -0600
Group,

I have searched and read the archive, so I know this has been discussed
at length before.  Most of the comments in the '96 thread seemed to be
about newer installations and I wonder how they have worked out in the
years since '96.

I'm working on the plans for a 22X24 barn style garage with a loft.
I have a LBC which needs to be restored.  I do not plan on using it
for our daily  drivers.  I'm guessing that I will find time to spend
an hour or two several evenings a week in it.  I need something that
can be brought up to working temperature quickly, but will not take all
my car money.  I would hate to have a great place to work and not be
able to buy the supplies to do anything.

My current thought is to install only one overhead door, the other
could be added later if desired.  I also want to insulate and drywall
the walls and ceiling of the first floor. The second floor would not
be heated at this time. The archives seems to suggest that radiant
heat in the floor to keep things at a reasonable level, 40s to 50s,
and a forced air system to bring it up to comfortable. Would this be
the way to go?  Does anyone have a setup similar to this in a climate
like we have in central Illinois?  Is this going to require a second
job to pay for the heat?

I'm very interested in the BTDT experiences.

Rich White  St. Joseph, IL USA
'63 TR3B
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!