Re: Flooring?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flooring?
From: Jay Siegfried <jays2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:52:24 -0500
At 11:55 AM 1/4/01 -0700, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>My wife is making noises about this being the year we finally replace some
>aging carpet in a couple of rooms with ???  One option is installing some
>laminated hardwood flooring, like Pergo.  Does anyone have some experience
>with this?  Would taking on a task like this make my life a living hell?
>Or will it be pretty easy, and a good excuse to buy some more power tools?
>
>Thanks,
>mjb.

Pergo is actually a simulated wood floor. The top layer is photo image that
is applied. It is a floating floor so there is no nailing. The flooring
sits on top of a layer of foam to eliminated noise. The planks are glued
and every few rows a clamping system is used to squeeze the planks tight.
Most rental centers or home centers rent installation kits. It is a fast
and easy installation. The one down side to Pergo is it can not be
refinished, so any deep scratches are there forever.

Some laminate wood floors and all hardwood plank floors can be refinished.
Laminate floors are stapled and hardwood floors are nailed.

Whatever you choose it is a great excuse to by a chop saw.

Jay

///
///