Re: cell phone wiring

To: Paul F Mele <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Subject: Re: cell phone wiring
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:01:01 -0800
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:46:52PM -0500, Paul F Mele wrote:

> Hi, Scott:
>
> I'm a car nut, electronics buff, music buff, and an ER doc...
>
> You could certainly achieve the electronic arrangement you seek, but...
>
> I'm worried about a certain statistic....People driving while talking on
> cell phones have the same accident and death rate as DRUNK DRIVERS.  This is
> NOT becouse of their hands or ears being occupied...it's the same with or
> without the hands-free set-ups.  It's because driver's minds are diverted
> from driving towards the conversation.  I hate to turn away business (after
> all, your misery IS my bread and butter), but I'd consider strongly the
> standard advice to pull over to shoulder or other safe spot whenever talking
> on the cell phone.

I'd be concerned a little with that too, as pulling off/on the road can
be hazardous as well.  Every so often I see someone parked off the highway
in a dangerous spot to talk on the phone.  I can't decide if I should
congratulate them for pulling over to talk or castigate them for
pulling over in an unsafe place.

Here in California they're talking about making it illegal to use a cell
phone while driving.  I see a lot of cell phone talkers driving stupidly
in Silicon Valley but I'd hate to penalize farmers in the central valley
who're calling in for tractor parts while driving empty back roads.
If people would use them responsibly we wouldn't have this problem.

I'm fortunate that my wife hates talking on the phone as much as I do
and thus uses her cell phone infrequently.  If she used it all the time
and it impacted her driving, I'd probably find a way to "fix" it and encourage
her to talk on the phone when she's out of the car.   (maybe a couple
non-resistor plugs to make the interference too great for use when
the engine's running?).

Judging from the cell phone conversations I overhear, most of them are
"where are you now?"  and are completely pointless.  I'd hate to have
loved ones hurt because of a pointless phone call.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5