Re: New manta while doing Home Improvements.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New manta while doing Home Improvements.
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:26:06 -0800
On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 05:47:32AM +0100, Brian C Kennedy wrote:

> Matt Wehland wrote:
> >
> >At 10:18 AM 12/12/00 -0500, epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:
> >
> >>"Nothing will set off a smoke detector faster than running a chain saw
> >>inside the kitchen!"
> >

> >Now don't forget about the 12 gauge hole saw, makes holes in less than a
> >second, and opens cans too (when they don't explode).
> >
> >Matt Wehland
>
> My dad use to use the 12 gauge as a tree trimmer. You never have to worry
> about falling off the ladder.

Short range though.

When I worked for USFS years ago, one of my jobs was to climb trees to
pick pine cones for a genetic tree improvment program.  Usually we wanted
to pick them more than once, so we climbed the trees carefully so that
we wouldn't damage them.  However every once in a while we wanted cones
from a tree not in the program and that we'd only get cones from once.

For those cases, we'd shoot the top out of the tree with a .22 mag rifle.
It's not easy to hit a 4" trunk that's 100' up, especially when there's
any wind blowing.  Of course you have to be careful about knowing what's
downrange.

Speaking of tree trimmers, does anyone have experience with those
chainsaw-on-a-pole things?  I'm thinking of getting one not so much
for trimming trees, but for cutting poison oak.  I keep getting it, even when
I just cut a couple stems when there's no leaves.  I guess I'm well sensitized
now.  Unfortunately I have a lot of the stuff growing where I'd like to
clear an old road, and where I want to put in more fruit trees.
I can push the PO around with the tractor but sometimes it needs to be cut.
My theory is that I could cut it from a safe distance with the trimmer
and then come in with the tractor and push it off to one side.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5