Was: 3M Roloc bristle cups, now also solvent cleaning

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Was: 3M Roloc bristle cups, now also solvent cleaning
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:13:53 -0800
>Yes , they work BETTER than the metal ones and you don't feel like you're
>tearing 'ell out of the metal either . . . tough enough to clean combustion

It sounds like the Roloc bristle cups are the way to go.  I think I especially
like the idea that they are plastic (nylon) and abrasive; sounds like I can
roll the shell into the driveway and grinda away, w/o worrying about leaving
little metal bits on the ground which form nasty rust stains in the pacific
northwet weather.  It appears they come in 3 varieties: white (fine grit),
yellow (medium grit), and green (coarse grit).  That sound about right?
Hey Rex, did you say you were a distributor for this stuff?

I'm finally shifting into high gear working on the project car. I'm about
to start into the rustoration work, cutting and grinding out all the rusty
spots and welding in patch panels.

Before I do this, I'd like to clean up/seal off the engine and transmission,
so I can pack them up and get them out of the way to make more room, and
keep further nasty bits (such as metal dust) from getting to them. Both are
already out of the car.  The tranny is covered with nasty oil goop, as the
old 2.0 had a leaky front main seal which must have spewed quarts of oil
over the underside of the car during the past XX,XXX miles (still shifts
very well). On the plus side, that's probably why the heat exchangers are
still pristine. The engine, a completely dressed 2.4/6 (intake, fi, wiring,
etc.), has been sitting on a dolly for the past couple of years, and has
the normal accumulation of dust/dirt from sitting, plus grime/oil from
usage in its previous life. The engine was recently rebuilt, and I have
no plans on tearing it down prior to reinstallation unless necessary.

A local detail shop is willing to steam clean both the engine and transmission.
This will get them nice and clean before I plastic wrap them and store them
away on a rack inside the garage. I am concerned though, about the steam/
cleaning fluid/solvent getting inside them. Are there any problems/downsides
to getting these parts steam cleaned (such as ruining/disturbing seals, internal
moisture issues)? I'm guessing the big issue with doing this is wrapping up
the parts and putting them away. I believe I'll need to go over them with
a blow gun/heat gun to drive away the moisture, and put some dessicant under
the wrap.

Any thoughts on what sort of solvent flushing I do prior to storage? I'd
like to put fresh lube in them, and figure solvent flushing after the steam
cleaning would help get any moisture out them. There is a concern that too
thorough a job of flushing would leave the internals with bare metal to metal
contact, which would be bad for start up, and not good for prevent rust during
storage, so how would I relube things afterwards?

Thanks for all your help guys, and this and other topics.  It's nice to have
a knowledgeable bunch of guys to bounce things off of.  The rest of my family
just doesn't get it....

Mike