old houses

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: old houses
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:18:37 -0500
With all this talk about back up power and heat, I have to add my $0.02
worth...

The issue of backup power/heat is the reason I buy old homes.  The new(to
me) home I just moved into was
build in the 1860's.  But has been modernized everywhere.  (electric, oil
burner, insulation) (see my next post about insulation)
The neat thing about this house, is that it has a functioning wood burning
kitchen stove in the kitchen.  It also has a wood burner that you can
divert the oil burner to.  This way, the water is heated by the wood
burning,
then fed into the oil burner.  Since it's hot already, the oil burner
doesn't kick it. But, if the fire goes out, the oil burner works normally.
This burner pair does both, heat and hot water.

There is also a very convenient "wood cellar" next to the burner.  It
holds
about 2/3'th of a cord of wood.

I'm currently adding a backup generator for electrical backup.  This way,
can drop "off the grid" anytime! 8>) (well, except for the T1 line, but I
haven't found a "wood burning T1 line" yet! 8>))

Inch
MailTo:epetrevich@relavis.com