Re: pole buildings

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pole buildings
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:50:35 -0500
That is the very old style of pole buildings - the traditional "post & beam"
method of
construction that was common before the availability of prefabricated span
trusses. If you pick
up an old carpentry book from the first half of the century, you will see
virtually identical
illustrations to the building shown in Website. That wasn't just a "California"
style at all.

There is nothing wrong with that method of construction, if you don't have a
need to move
machinery around inside - storing hay or keeping livestock, etc. But if you
want to store
machinery, you need the newer construction methods.

Mike

Eric Murray wrote:

> Evidently the pole barn I have with the poles in the middle
> is a "california style" pole building.
>
> Here's a URL for a company that sells kits to build them:
>

>http://www.portablebuilding.com/pole%20Calif%20style/california_style_pole_buildings_menu.htm
>
> --
>   Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
>   http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>

A man may be very industrious, and yet not spend his time well. There is no
more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of life getting
his living. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)