lathe question

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: lathe question
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:52:04 -0500
My 9"Logan lathe has a shaft with gears that I cannot figure out what to do
with. It is just behind the driven pulleys in the headstock, on a shaft
parallel with the headstock and directly behind it. It has a large gear
(~5") on the right side and a small gear on the left. Total length is about
10".
It does not mesh with any of the gears on the headstock, but it looks like
it would. Judging by the size of the gears, I would suspect they are to
provide lower shaft speeds. However, there appears to be no provision for
bringing the gears into mesh.
    Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at and how it is used?

Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth
rex@txol.net