Re: "Welding " stainless

To: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: "Welding " stainless
From: roger <rkorn@europa.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:28:10 -0700
"Welding" refers to joining parts with a filler that is the same, or
similar to the parent metal. "Brazing" refers to joining parts with a
lower melting point filler. In many situations, brazing is actually
stronger than welding. For stainless, welding requires an inert shielding
gas, such as helium (heli-arc),  argon, or CO2 (TIG or MIG), none of which
are possible with a torch.

Roger