Welding Stainless with a torch

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welding Stainless with a torch
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:21:17 -0700
Hi shop talkers,

I have a crack in the stainless steel fender of my BSA B50SS
(rear fender, near the engine, so it does not show).

Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to weld it with my oxy
acetylene torch, and if so, any hints on rods, flux, methods. It
does not have to look good, I can weld the bottom side of the
fender, and it is hidden by the wheel and engine. I just need to
stop it before it creeps any further (this bike does vibrate a
bit.  :)

If it cannot be done with a torch, I can take it to someone for
welding, but I would prefer to fix it myself if practical.

I also have a crack/separation in the exhaust megaphone (a 1 3/4"
ID chrome pipe) where the reverse megaphone cone was
welded/brazed to the main body of the megaphone before chroming.
Is this something that is best done with brazing then
re-chroming, or how would you approach it?  It is a custom CCM
exhaust, and I would have a very difficult time trying to replace
it.

thanks,

doug