Re Blast Cabinets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Blast Cabinets
From: Frank Woodward <gracious1@mcmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:42:42 +0100
Hi all
I've been following the thread re blast cabinets,and thought I'd add my
little bit. I too was faced with the very high cost of a bought one so
decided to experiment.
The plant where I was employed at the time bought in raw material in one
ton lots (the material being granulated Nylon beads) they were packed in
an open ended carton of 5ply cardboard having removable ends. These
cartons were creased every 18" so as to form a large tube 5'6"High x
40"Dia.
I cut a large square in the side and made a window out of flexiplas with
two 8"dia. holes to stick my arms in. I have a 2Ton chain hoist that I
use to lower heavy items i.e. engines, sub-frames etc. other parts stand
on a box. I hang a square of old carpet to save the back wall. For wider
items bonnets and wings I can alter the shape to form an oblong 5'6" x
1'6". As well as blasting it serves as a spray booth too. A large hopper
made from strong plastic sheet is taped to the inside to hold blasting
media and the top is enclosed with simular material. The interior is lit
by the sheds overhead fluros or Q/H lamps. It can be used either inside
or out side and when not in use can be folded flat and stored away.
I can recommend cardboard, its strong,easy to work and can be thrown
away for repulping

Frank.