New Milling Machine Suggestions for Accessories

To: "Shop Talk (E-mail)" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Milling Machine Suggestions for Accessories
From: Gil Fuqua <gfuqua@corpcomminc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:08:02 -0500
I am looking at one of the small milling machines from Harbor Freight,
Grizzly, etc.  The table size is about  8" x 29".   I am a first-time
milling machine owner/user (already have a lathe) and want to know what
accessories to order.  I am considering the following:

-power table feed
-milling vise (what size do you recommend for this size machine?)
-combination rotary table (what size?)
-R-8 end mill holders
-clamping kit
-end mills

There are a number of different end mills to choose from, including HSS, tin
coated, single and double end.  Also a choice of 2 and 4 flute.  What does a
neophyte need?  It seems the end mill "sets" are the cheapest way to get a
selection.  Do you use collets or end mill holders for these?

Thanks for your input.

Gil Fuqua, Jr.
Nashville, TN