RE: gas line install

To: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Subject: RE: gas line install
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:41:16 -0600 (MDT)
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Mark Miller wrote:

> What's 'really high' ?

OK, I should have been more specific.  First estimate $1500, second $700.

> Figure that the material you'll need is only about $100 - pipe, couplings,
> elbows to get around obstructions as needed, and hangers.  And the rest
> would be labor.  It is quite straightforward to do the work, but takes time
> because of the space you'd be working in (how 'crawl' is your crawlspace:
> slightly bent over, stooping, hands and knees, creeping on your back with

Hands and knees, not easy, but I've done a lot of work under there, put
insulation up under the floors.

> stuff hitting your nose, need some skinny kid to do it, . . . ) and the
> tools and materials you would or would not have.  You can get the pipe (I
> assume 3/4" iron is what you'd use) in 20 foot lengths.  Easy if you can
> snake it around whatever obstructions are down there, more work if there are
> bunches of turns you'd need to make.  A plumber would most likely bring a
> pipe threader with them, so could make various length pieces as needed.
> You'd either need to buy/rent one, or go back to the supply store and get
> pieces cut and threaded to length.  Either way, not that bad, but time
> consuming.

Yeah, I figured it'd take me a full weekend and a pro could do it in part
of a day but $600 for a day's work seems pretty good (for the guy getting
paid).  I don't think the obstruction situation is that bad, either.

Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com