Re: telephone in the shop?

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: telephone in the shop?
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 02:51:56 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Phil Ethier wrote:

> Lets see, the four wires on a standard phone are for:
>
> SIGNAL
> GROUND
> DIAL LIGHT
> ?

is _that_ what all those extra wires are for?  wow, I'd been wondering.
I've been rewiring my mom's house (just the phones) off and on for a few
months now--strangest setup you've ever seen, phones looped, not looped,
pull off any given jack and there are 6 sets of wires hooked up to it, but
only two phones in the house.  anyway, all the phones are only using two
of the wires in the bundle.  to further confuse me, someone at some point
ran a different two-strand wire under the house to a bedroom phone.
anyhow, I've just been buying phone cord from the home depot and hooking
it up.  as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter which two wires you use.

I'd been wondering about the extras--shows what I know.  maybe someone
else will set me straight--should I be doing something with all four, and
are the strands different from one another ither than to differentiate,
i.e., are they different gauge or material?

scott

> Can you all help me out here?

looks like I can't at least... ;-)