Re: Beginner's Machinist Qs

To: "shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Beginner's Machinist Qs
From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@surfree.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:16:35 -0500
Richard,

As I understand it drill rod is the same stuff HSS drills are made from.
They are just solid rounds and usually come in 3 foot lengths.   The oil,
water and air hardening has to do with the kind of heat treat you use to
harden the steel after it is machined.    The steel is delivered in a soft
and easily machined state, afterwards it can be heated up and then quenched
(cooled rapidly) in oil, air or water.    The heating temperature is
critical.    The details are probably listed in a "Machinery Hanndbook"
(should also be listed in MSC).

Bob