letter to sears

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: letter to sears
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:46:48 -0600
--0__=zJgr6t9UOuTPh9d3Le374o6pYgbdna7CcmFO2NiT8a9lpNPr7QxiadKg

Richard,

Here's one of my rants that I fired off to Sears after a late charge was
tacked onto my 21% interest charge account.
Made me so mad I paid them off and sent this letter.  I enclosed my credit
cards (in small pieces).   It did get a response apologizing and a $25.00
certificate to use at my local Sears store..   So writing will help, if in
no other way, a secretary will see that someone other than her is
disappointed with the treatment Sears gives.  I still buy at Sears (when
they have it in stock!!)  but it's cash only, and I must have been
contacted 50 times by phone offering me a new Sears Credit Card... I guess
they miss me  :-)

Credit Manager
Sears Credit
3333 Beverly Rd.
Hoffman Estates, Il  60179

Originally this letter was to complain about my billing, but now
additionally it is to complain about finding the proper person at which to
complain.

I began by calling the Credit number on my bill 1-800-669-8415.  After
being disconnected two times during the automated attendant messages I
finally spoke to a
--0__=zJgr6t9UOuTPh9d3Le374o6pYgbdna7CcmFO2NiT8a9lpNPr7QxiadKg

?person?.  I asked for the Regional Credit Managers name
who would handle my account in the Birmingham area.  After several minu=
tes
on hold, I was given the number in Atlanta - 770-723-8470.    I dialed =
this
number and a recording  told me that I had reached the  Sears Regional
Credit Card Center and that it was a non working number.
Really ! the recording said it was a non working number and disconnecte=
me.  I then called directory assistance asking for the Sears Regional
Credit Office in Atlanta and was given the number for one of the Sears
Stores in Atlanta.  The operator transferred me to her local store offi=
ce
and no one answered.  I called my store here in Fairfield Al and someon=
e in
the office gave me 1-800-347-8480.  I called that number and got Sears
Credit in DesMoines, Iowa. A very helpful lady finally came up with you=
address and here we are.   It shouldn?t be that hard.

Now, the original purpose for the letter.  I received my December 13,19=
97
bill and saw a charge for $20.00 listed as a late charge.  After lookin=
through my checks and past bills, I realized that I had not received an=

October bill and has missed a payment.

 I?m sure that I?m like most people, I pay all the bills I have receive=
when I get them.  If I don?t receive it, it might slip my mind.  I?m su=
re
your late charges are computer generated based on payments received bef=
ore
due date.  I think maybe a credit history and payment history should be=

calculated into the equation.

I?ve been a customer with Sears for better than 30 years and that was 3=
0
years of shopping at Sears first for quality and price.  I have the nea=
little Sears Best Customer Sticker on my credit cards and I receive the=

yearly mailings about how important we are and how much you appreciate =
my
business.  My house and toolboxes are filled with Sears stuff.  I don?t=

remember missing a payment for the 30 years and made quite a few ahead.=

Before you add on your late charge, shouldn?t you look at payment histo=
ry
and say to yourself ( or your computer say to itself)  "Hey, maybe
something is lost in the mail, this guy always pays by the 5th of the
month."  Then maybe a friendly ?Missed your payment? note.   Your rep i=
Iowa said she would remove the 20.00 late charge.  So now I have a 20.0=
0
credit as I paid you off this week.  I don?t guess I?ll get to use that=

credit, as you can see my credit cards are in this envelope and hardly
usable.  I?ll find someone else to do business with who looks at the
customers value and loyalty instead of just his 13 digit account number=
.
And to add one more sore spot? whose interest rate is reasonable.

John Niolon
3700 Virginia Drive
Hueytown, Al  35023

=

--0__=zJgr6t9UOuTPh9d3Le374o6pYgbdna7CcmFO2NiT8a9lpNPr7QxiadKg--