shop walls and lighting

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: shop walls and lighting
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:22:44 -0600

I started with a 25'x25' framed building  with 4 windows a roll up and a
walk in door.  After two cold winters and two miserably hot summers, I
decided on insulation and walls.

First,  do a project like this in the early spring, late fall or winter...
it much more comfortable working like that.  The whole garage was crammed
full of stuff so the project involved moving EVERYTHING in the garage two
or three times...so SECOND do this in an empty building if you can...it's
easier.

I first installed two mats of 2" insulation in the walls (a little tight)
and then covered with 1/4" plywood. It's a lot lighter than
sheetrock...easier to finish and then it was as cheap since sheetrock was
very high.  Besides I hate doing sheetrock finishing. and since the room
was full of my 'good stuff'  the dust would have been more than I wanted to
deal with.    The ceilings were next and I did them with the same stuff and
installed 6" of insulation over that.  The walls were painted with light
gray for the bottom 36" and white from there up and including the ceilings.
I used a semigloss exterior latex. You won't believe how much light these
walls and ceiling gather from the windows now.  I nailed most of it up, but
sheets that covered the power feeds and conduits ends from the house  were
'screwed' up.  Also an expansion is planned when the truck is finished so I
screwed up the sheets on that wall to make them easier to remove and reuse
later.

Lighting is all flourescent.  4 two bulb 8' fixtures over the main
sections, a 4' 2 bulb over the grinder and drill press, 2 4' 2 bulbs over
the work benches and a 4' 2 bulb in the corner over the parts/nut/bolt
cabinets...  Also have the retractable drop light for under truck work and
a 500 halogen work light for light/heat combo...

The best part is the insulation....  warm in the winter and cool in the
summer... I love it...