Gasket sealers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Gasket sealers
From: robert c noguiera <nogera@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:50:13 -0500
I'm rebuilding a chain drive box  which is made of aluminum and holds
oil. The box is split down the middle and BMW used a paper gasket
between the mating surfaces. The paper gaskets were notorious for leaking
oil and are no longer available so I was thinking of using one of the
new form- a - gasket ( in a tube ) products.
At the auto parts store they carry several types ( black , blue , red )
but the packages do not state the advantages or disadvantages of the
different types )

The box will not be subject to a great deal of heat , but does have a
narrow mating surface and being fragile the product used should allow for
rather easy parting of the surfaces .

Anyone have any recommendations ?

Bob Nogueira