Removing Bad Chrome Plate

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing Bad Chrome Plate
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:30:50 -0400
Need help/advice.

I have some unique suspension nuts etc on a race car I'm renovating that
are/were chrome plated but the plating is flaking off. At least I assume
it it is Chrome plating. I've tried wire brushing, filing, sanding, bead
blasting etc but all fail to remove the sharp edges from the flaking
plating.

Is there a safe chemical way to remove it? Or a better mechanical way?
I'd be happy either to remove all the plating or just the flaking bits.

For refinishing I'd be happy either to re-plate or just to paint. What
plating finish is best for such applications?

Thx for any and all recommendations.

Derek