Cryogenic :-) Dent Repair?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Cryogenic :-) Dent Repair?
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
I have a shallow dent about 6" X 12" in a car fender (from a person leaning
on it to clean the windshield) that has no sharp edges, and has no paint
cracks or anything.  It's been there a couple of years now.

I had been intending to get a pro to pull it out with a suction cup or
somesuch, but someone told me about another method to try.

He said to apply dry ice (I think that was it) on a hot day.  I guess the
idea is that the metal contracts rapidly and pulls the dent out of itself(?).

I can't figure out how I would go about applying the dry ice to the fender
without risking damage to the paint... and I don't know how to contact the
guy who told me about it.

Has anyone heard of this before, or done it?

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting