More on high quality connectors

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on high quality connectors
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:12:03 -0700
Michael D. Porter wrote:

> We have found, in some instances, that soldered joints will fail under
> high-vibration conditions. If the joint is protected from vibration, I
> think a soldered joint is very much an advantage.

 - snip -

Yes, I totally agree.  The solder can "wick" up the wire causing the wire to
harden (not flex) and creating a spot vulnerable to vibration induced failures.

For the charging and ignition circuits on my BSA single, I used to use high
quality solderless connectors with a ratcheting  crimp leaving just enough
stripped wire to extend out of the connector-side of the terminal (toward the
spade), and then just solder the very end-tip of the wire to the connector being
careful not to overheat the connector, weakening/distorting the plastic
insulation supporting the wire, and being careful not to let the solder wick up
the wire causing it to stiffen, making it more vulnerable to the vibration of
the
single cylinder engine.

I now have switched over now to fully insulated terminals with heat shrink
sleeves that extend back down the wire.  The sleeve has an adhesive-lined,
shrinkable extension that provides an excellent moisture barrier and strain
relief.  These are great connectors I get from McMaster-Carr.  They also have
double crimp connectors with a longer barrel so you can use two crimps for
better
strain relief. Grainger probably stocks similar connectors, too.

regards,

doug