Re: Pop rivet question

To: "George Procyshyn" <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Subject: Re: Pop rivet question
From: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@voyageronline.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:14:59 -0400

> My hand pop riveter just self destructed. Those BIG steel rivets just
can't
> be done by hand without extention bars on the riveter and the extra
pressure
> just tore one of the handles completely off.   . . . . . . Amazing.

George, I was having a lot of trouble working with steel rivets also. I
discovered that instead of allowing the riveter head to bottom out against
the rivet after every stroke, I could raise it up a little. Then when I
squeezed the handles again, the riveter would grasp the rivet and move down
against the rivet taking up the "slack". At that point the handles would be
closer together making it a lot easier to compress the river. You have to
practice judging how much to raise the tool up but it's not too hard to
judge after a few tries. Hope this helps!

Tom Shirley    Sale Creek, TN
1982 Royale RP31 Formula Ford (BAD DOG Racing)
1978 Triumph Spitfire
http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080