RE: Gear Oil

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gear Oil
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:12:44 -0700
I would guess instead that it is becoming less popular.  140 wt was mostly
required in the past to get high film strength, but apparently better
additives and synthetic oils have reduced the need.

I can't see any possible reason why either the EPA or OSHA would care how
thick the oil is.

Randall

On Wednesday, June 09, 1999 6:44 PM, Aaron Bergman
[SMTP:bergman@oldihc.org] wrote:

> I checked on Pennzoil and Havoline's websites and they do make it.
 85w-140,
> mostly, which is just fine.  I don't know why that man at the implement
> place told me over the phone that it is getting hard to get, because if
two
> major oil companies are making it, it can't be that hard to find.  I also
> live in a town of about 1,500 people with about 5 places that have gear
oil,
> so my search is somewhat limited.  I called to a John Deere dealer in a
> different town and they had it, then I thought of one more place in my
town
> to call, the hardware store of all places, and they stocked 85w-140.
 Duh!!