Engine break-in

To: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@hotmail.com>
Subject: Engine break-in
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <rex@inoli.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:49:51 -0500
Is it using oil? Smoking?
Is the compression pressure low?

If so, I'd change to dinosaur oil until the above conditions change.

Actually, most rings today are chrome moly, and they seat pretty damned
fast.  Most of the seatingin is finished within a few hundred miles,
although peak sealing my not arrive until around 5-10,000 miles.
Most manufacturers recommend using convention oil for breakin, as you
obviously know.

One thing that will speed ring seating is heat, as in get the motor up to
230-240-degrees. Proceed with caution, obviously.

Rex Burkheimer
 J-CON Coordinator, WM Automotive Whse      Fort Worth TX
Texas Region SCCA     FC #19  ITB #49
rex@inoli.com  rburkheimer@hotmail.com
There are only two real sports in the world: bullfighting and auto racing.
Everything else is just a game."  -Ernest Hemingway

DFW Internet Service $9.95 /month, 1st month free, no setup charge
All 56K digital, no busy signals  over 200 N Texas cities
www.inoli.com or toll free  1-877-308-4665