RE: detached garage ideas

To: "Lin, Gary" <Gary.Lin@wang.com>
Subject: RE: detached garage ideas
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 06:49:21 -0500

Gary Lin wrote:

Thanks for the great info.  This is for the DC area (on the Chesapeake
Bay),so a moderate climate.  I think some electrical will be put in, but
probably no water.  Stuff about the attic and flooring is good.  I keep
remembering discussions about vapor barriers for the floor, this would be
under the concrete pad?
Gary,

You're welcome.    I've seen the vapor barrier done different ways.  After
the slag is poured and spread for the sub base, cover it with heavy
polyethlyene.

What I did was the same thing - but with an additional layer of 1" foam
insulation layed over the poly...gives you vapor barrier AND insulation.  I
saw this somewhere in a magazine and asked my builder about it.  He had no
experience with it, but reasoned as I did.... it can't hurt. Don't know if
1" is better than 1/2" or 1/2 as good at 2"  -    I just had access to
enough to do 1" of insulation...  BTW  -  This insulation and the vapor
barrier only covered the floor and not the footing area. I swear my floors
are warmer in winter and cooler in summer ( but it could just be my
imagination.)   I'd talk to a local builder in the DC area.  He'll know
more about the climate there and the problems with freezing ground and
frost heave.   We don't have too much problem with that here in Al.

Another thought I had.  If I had it to do again I would have brought the
block wall up a couple of blocks before the framing started.  My framing
starts at the slab level.   This makes it very easy to hose everything out
without wetting down your wood walls.  Also gives you a few more inches of
headrood for chain hoists, cherry pickers and the like.  Just a thought,
might not be applicable in your case.