Dueling Banjos

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Dueling Banjos
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:53:36 EST
Okay, here's a question.  Ever since I bought my current LBC (a '77 Midget) I
have been reading these lists.  The term "banjo" is mentioned frequently.

I've figured out what a banjo bolt is.  It is a hollow bolt that allows a
fluid to flow through a mounting point, such as the end of a brake hose.

I have also heard of a banjo type rear, or differential.  And today I saw
someone writing about a banjo type hose clamp.

My questions are, can anyone explain the banjo rear and the banjo hose clamp,
and where in the world did the term banjo come from?  Is the musical
instrument that popular in Britian?  Does it have anything to do with Scrug
Pickin'?  Do you need a 4 or 5 string banjo?  Did you see Deliverance?  :-)

TIA,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport