[BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [Matt We

To: shop-talk
Subject: [BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [Matt Wehland <mwehland@svs.com>]]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:22:37 -0700 (MST)

     Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:57:53 -0600
     From: Matt Wehland <mwehland@svs.com>
     Subject: Re: Lighting a garage... Was: Re: Heating Garage

At 11:14 AM 1/8/99 -0600, you wrote:

>This is a good idea - my father-in-law did the same thing in his shop, he
>found one of those two-light stands on sale somewhere really cheap and just
>took the two lights off and mounted them on a rafter so that one points
>toward the bench top and the other toward his anvil (he's a blacksmith). He
>has fluorescents in there but the extra supplemental light pointing right at
>the work surfaces makes a tremendous difference. The fluorescents help
>minimize the shadow problem.  I do more or less the same thing except mine
>are still on the stand; they'll fold up and stash in a corner if I need, but
>I can point them right at whatever I'm working on or even take them outside,
>which I did last week when it started getting dark before I was done
>sandblasting. They are a lot more convenient than a trouble light (but not
>too useful working underneath something).

When working underneath a car I have used the Halogens on a stand to light
the garage and the topside and then another 500w Halogen standalone (they
stand less than a foot high), for lighting underneath the car.  The spots
that the light gets to are bright as day, just be careful not to get to
close or look into the light.  We also use these lights at work, just be
careful not to turn on freezing cold bulbs, they tend not to like that.

Also has anyone ever found an inexpensive supply of GOOD 500W halogoen
bulbs?  The only one's that I've ever found that last are always around
$5.00 ea.

  Matt Wehland    mwehland@webtripper.com   http://www.webtripper.com