Lighting a garage... Was: Re: Heating Garage

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lighting a garage... Was: Re: Heating Garage
From: tw@mcc.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:14:18 -0600
This is a good idea - my father-in-law did the same thing in his shop, he
found one of those two-light stands on sale somewhere really cheap and just
took the two lights off and mounted them on a rafter so that one points
toward the bench top and the other toward his anvil (he's a blacksmith). He
has fluorescents in there but the extra supplemental light pointing right at
the work surfaces makes a tremendous difference. The fluorescents help
minimize the shadow problem.  I do more or less the same thing except mine
are still on the stand; they'll fold up and stash in a corner if I need, but
I can point them right at whatever I'm working on or even take them outside,
which I did last week when it started getting dark before I was done
sandblasting. They are a lot more convenient than a trouble light (but not
too useful working underneath something). If you are not permanently
mounting them where they won't get vibration, go ahead and get the 'rough
service' bulbs; like an incandescent trouble light they don't last too long
otherwise. - Tw