aluminum / steel parts

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: aluminum / steel parts
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 17:56:15 -0500
Thanks for the suggestions on the parts separation issue. Lots of
suggestions to use Kroil -- I'm definitely going to buy some.

We finally separated the second head from the block this afternoon,
using ever-increasing sizes of wedges, penetrating oil on the studs, and
applying vibration from an air chisel with a blunt nose to nuts screwed
to the studs. Egad. I'da thunk since we're in the 20th century, almost
the new millenium for Pete's sake, that more satisfying means would be
at our disposal. This technology is as bad as fastening pieces of wood
together by bashing nails through them with a hammer. Ugh.

Several asked what I was working on - delete now if not interested...it
is a 1935 Packard V12 engine. It was "stored" outside for a number of
years. We are trying to salvage all the parts possible to use in
restoring some other cars.

The Packard V12 looks pretty mundane on the outside -- flathead V12.
However, the sump, heads, and front casting are aluminum. The valves are
in the block and are operated by rocker arms also buried deep in the vee
of the block. The rockers are in three sets of four, mounted in 'valve
blocks' and have an automatic valve lash adjusting mechanism. When thes
472 cu. in. engines are right, they are like turbines -- quite,
powerful, vibration-free, and with so much torque you can leave it in
high gear once it's moving.

Like most classic cars, parts are very expensive. The valve blocks with
rockers go for $1500 used. Crankshafts are awesome. Con rods are long,
slender, and almost pretty. And all this is fed by one little bitty
carburetor perched up on top -- by, would I like to give one of these
engines 'the treatment'.

I have the incredible good fortune to be employed part time by a 'patron
of the arts' who is restoring about ten vintage Packards. My fears of a
boring retirement have been allayed.
--
uncle jack
Happiness is an interesting car to work on...