stretching the jack.....

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: stretching the jack.....
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 10:54 -0400 (EDT)
     Chris wrote:

     I used to use a block of wood between the jack and the car (painful
     cringes from the audience) until the wood slipped and cracked open my
     radiator.  Some lessons have to be learned painfully.

     Chris,

     (as you now know) you put the wood in the wrong place...I don't know
     how much more room you need, but make a riser of 4x4 lumber the length
     of the jack (with stops at each end) and put the jack on top of that.

     Then raise the jack...that will give you about 3.5-4" of extra
     room..probably a couple of knotches on the jack stands...

     If there is no room for the jack and riser...do it in stages...full
     lift with the jack on the floor...insert jack stands...lower jack
     insert riser & jack  and raise the additional 4 ".  Theoretically you
     could get it to the ceiling with enough risers... but I wouldn't
     recommend it

     john